Thursday, July 16, 2009

I Can't Let It Go


Volleyball update. There are 8 teams in the league and we play each team twice. The first round we finished off 1 and 6. Is that how you say it when you have won one game and lost six? Anyway that's what happened. We are now on round two. We beat the team that we beat last time. Hallelujah!

Last night was the Net Nazis. We already hate them from our first interaction. Steve came up with the strategy to go in and ignore them, just play our own game and not listen to a word they say. They are constantly talking the whole time about anything... what they did last weekend, work stuff, and then the game. Letting us know about any suspect hit or that we may have crossed the net or questioning a call. It is so irritating and hard to ignore. Anyway we lost the first game. I can't remember the score maybe 9-15? The second game we were great. And they were losing it. The game kept going into a tie so it was a long one. We had really long exchanges. And then it happened. I had a great shot that dropped right on the line and their player was out of position. We were cheering and high-fiving, I went back to serve and out of nowhere. This chick from the other side of the court starts saying that it was out! She was playing right front and the ball hit the line on the left middle of the court. The three people from her team who were right there just stood there speechless. Junior asked them for a call and they would not respond. And this chick just kept saying it was out. She was in no position to make that call and no one on her team would say a word. Well not until after the next play when one of the other ladies said to me "You shouldn't have let that happen. You shouldn't let her get away with that. You shouldn't have backed down." I said "Thanks" but what I should have said was "Then you should have stepped up." Anyway we eventually lost 17-19. But the momentum from that shot could have changed the whole game. We were in the lead and just needed one more point to end the game. It was one of those moments that you wish you could relive and do over. I know it's just volleyball but it is so irritating. It was a blatant bad call and we let her get away with it. Later in the game they had a similar shot. They actually thought it was out but it landed perfectly on the line. Of course we called it in and gave them the ball. A couple of them said "Really it was in? Thanks" We can't stoop to their level. It's just wrong. I will have to admit, though, it was hard.

Game three was a waste of time. We were in no mood for them any more. We lost. Our hearts were not into it any more. I am pretty sure no one shook hands with the chick after the game. I know I didn't. I am pretty sure Junior and Jess didn't. And Steve said he barely touched her. Maybe one finger touched her hand.

We were all quiet after the match was over. Cleaned off our feet, drank some water. No one said a word. I think we were afraid to start unleashing our anger in public. One guy from the other team walked over and made point to shake hands with each one of us and tell us what a great game we played. I think he felt the guilt. But it was nice of him to come over. He was really genuine.

If you have any tips on how I can just let this go please let me know. It is still boiling in my belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment