I really don't like umbrellas. Sorry to those who use them. Here is a pictorial reason why.

1) Large Umbrellas-These are the ones that are the size of a satellite dish. They make a person's diameter 3 to 4 times wider than normal. The people that use these seem unaware of this fact and walk around like they own the whole side walk. I was hit in the head with one yesterday.
Chicago is a windier than normal city which leads me to reasons 2 and 3.

2) Most umbrellas cannot handle the the wind. So you have inside out umbrellas ditched everywhere when they finally completely fail. So what's the point.

3) The people trying to prevent the umbrellas from turning inside out, have it pulled down so it is perpendicular to the side walk and right in front of their face. They have no clue where they are going so are running into innocent others walking down the street.
Oh and 4) Isn't the rain just blowing under the umbrella any way?
I don't see what an umbrella has that a rain coat with a hood does not. Here are a few suggestions.
This is the only acceptable umbrella as far as I can see. Nice and tight around the individual. You can get right inside it and can see everyone else around you so you will not be inadvertently running into people.
I also found this which is also an acceptable umbrella.

But really, what's wrong with a nice rain hat. And these are made by the people who know foul weather. You don't see them walking around with umbrellas.

I too, am not a fan of the umbrella -ella -ella.
ReplyDelete